Friday, September 10, 2010

Jonathan Safran Foer - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close


This is Jonathan's second novel. Much like his first, it is ridiculously well written with lots of different narrative styles and the added addition of a hilarious photo of Lleyton Hewitt.

Even the inscription is beautiful, so we begin with that.

1. For NICOLE, my idea of beautiful.

2. What about little microphones? What if everyone swallowed them, and they played the sounds of our hearts through little speakers

3. And at the finish line at the end of the New York City Marathon it would sound like war.

4. I'd experienced joy, but not nearly enough, could there be enough?

5. How pinched and pathetic.

6. None of my pets know their own names, what kind of person am I?

7. And I conjugated for a while so I wouldn't have to think about things.

8. "No, but there are books that I love, love, love," she said it just like that, three times.

9. How she sneezes and says, "God bless me," God bless her.

10. "Then why are you crying?" I asked, exhausted and experienced.

11. I thought, it's a shame that we have to live, but it's a tragedy that we get to live only one life, because if I'd had two lives, I would have spent one of them with her.

12. There was art that was probably famous on the walls.

13. I took pictures of the stars with Grandpa's camera, and in my head i connected them to make words, whatever words i wanted... In my brain I made "shoe" and "inertia" and "invincible."

No comments:

Post a Comment