Thursday, May 27, 2010

Lindsay Carleton - The People








































This was Lindsay's first published work. It was in McSweeney's with an amputee George Bush on the cover. It is an epic call to arms. Read thi and try not to feel like you should be changing the world. You can't do it.

1. I want us to be approached by salesmen wearing patent leather in shoe stores. They will talk to us while their hands are clasped behind their backs. I want us to have a scotch on the rocks in a bar with windows while it snows outside. I want us to feel warm while sitting on stools high enough that our feet don’t touch the ground. I want someone with expensive suspenders to offer us a cigar and slap us on the back. I want us to be casually invited to some Saturday party. I want us to go.

2. The entrance to this silver building is pink and marble, some cold womb.

3. There are lights that run like days, straight along the ceiling.

4. As if we owned the lace. As if we owned the sky it invades.

5. This is not a swagger. This is a limp.

No comments:

Post a Comment